Associate General Counsel - Regulatory
Who we are
Shellpoint Mortgage Servicing (SMS) is America’s 9th-largest third-party mortgage servicing company. What is mortgage servicing? Our clients are businesses that own mortgage loans (such as banks and real estate investment firms); on their behalf, we manage (or "service") their loan portfolios: We collect homeowners’ mortgage payments, pay homeowners’ tax and insurance bills, and help homeowners in default to get current.
The Senior Regulatory Counsel and Privacy Officer assists with managing regulatory and enforcement matters (including CFPB, HUD, and other state regulatory inquiries), leads internal investigations, and partners with other members of the team in advising the Firm regarding regulatory affairs. As the company’s Privacy Officer the Senior Regulatory Counsel will ensure that the company’s collection, use, and sharing of customer data is consistent with applicable law, company policies and brand positioning. This role, under the direction of the General Counsel, will provide counsel to the company’s senior leaders and management and act as a liaison with various business units.
- Monitor federal and state regulatory activity and work closely with the company’s senior leaders and compliance team to enact required changes.
- Analyze the impact of proposed federal and state regulations and/or federal or state regulatory action that affect the company or industry.
- Build and maintain constructive strategic relationships with regulators/legislators and regulatory agencies.
- Provide strategic and legal advice to the company’s General Counsel and other executives across the enterprise.
- Act as a privacy advisor to business units, providing legal advice and counsel on a variety of complex legal issues.
- Review and modify business policies and procedures and provide training when needed.
- Assist business and corporate clients in complying with internal policies, privacy laws and industry best practices.
- Build strong working relationships with senior business executives and their teams, while balancing legal risks with legal requirements.
- 5+ years of relevant regulatory legal experience, in-house experience a plus
- 2+ years of relevant privacy experience
- Active Member of a State Bar
- Knowledge of residential mortgage lending and servicing industry
- Excellent interpersonal, written and communication skills
- Excellent research and writing skills
- Strong organizational skills and attention to detail is a must
- Ability to multi-task, prioritize and establish goals
- Ability to work in a team-oriented, fast-past environment
- Proficiency with general Microsoft Office applications
- Juris Doctorate from accredited law school.
Job Status: Full Time
Job Reference #: job_20191030193407_XIN18UXCQQP9QXPD