Correspondence & Dispute Specialist I
Who we are
Shellpoint Mortgage Servicing (SMS) is one of America’s top-five non-bank mortgage-servicing companies. What is mortgage servicing? Our clients are businesses that own mortgage loans (such as banks and real estate investment firms). On their behalf, we manage (or "service") their loan portfolios, which means that we collect homeowners’ mortgage payments, pay their tax and insurance bills, and help homeowners in default to get current.
The Correspondence & Dispute Specialist is responsible for handling Qualified Written Requests and Credit Bureau Disputes. The job will entail reviewing all written inquiries, disputes and complaints from borrower’s or their authorized representatives, researching and resolving issues, and providing formal written responses within deadlines. ideal candidate will have a good working knowledge of all aspects of Operations, including payment processing, escrow, taxes and insurance, boarding, credit reporting etc., and be able to direct members of those departments in resolving issues. The job will require continuous learning and keeping up-to-date with the Regulations related to the Real Estate Settlement Procedures Act (RESPA), Truth In Lending Act (TILA) the Fair Credit Reporting Act (FCRA), the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau (CFPB), and policies and procedures regarding Fraud/ID Theft.
- Prioritize and be able to complete tasks according to regulatory deadlines.
- Research issues to identify root causes and be able to execute a plan of action for resolution.
- Ensure the necessary actions/corrections are made to the accounts to resolve disputes, complaints and inquiries.
- Compose written responses to borrower’s (or their authorized representatives) providing final resolution.
- Submit updates to the credit reporting agencies as needed, to resolve credit disputes.
- Ensure timely processing of Automated Credit Dispute Verifications (ACDVs) and Automated Universal Data forms (AUDs) through the online portal.
- Assist with researching and composing written responses to Regulatory Complaints.
- Proficient in Microsoft Word and Excel.
- Excellence in communication via telephone and written communication.
- Demonstrated attention to detail and organizational skill.
- Ability to work independently with minimal supervision.
- Strong analytical, problem solving and mathematical skills to be used in directing decision-making.
- Basic understanding of Mortgage lending and servicing.
- Strong negotiation and follow-up skills, as well as the ability to meet strict deadlines.
- Experience in late stage mortgage collections, including handling modifications, short sales, and Deeds in Lieu of Foreclosure is a plus.
- Must be extremely detail oriented, inquisitive, and have a passion for investigating and problem solving.
- Good written communication skills are needed, including good use of grammar, spelling, punctuation and sentence structure.
- Advanced understanding of Mortgage and Consumer finance a plus
- Intermediate knowledge of MS Word, MS Excel
- Familiarity with Mortgage Servicing systems is preferred.
- Excellent work ethic and deadline driven.
- Follow up skills and a strong sense of accountability
- Must possess a short learning curve related to assimilation of new skills and tasks
- Superior organizational skills needed
- Ability to multi-task as well as quickly adapt to changing work assignments
- Knowledge of credit reporting and FCRA is a plus
- Math and analytical skills needed
- High School Diploma required.
* 15 Paid Time Off (PTO) days and 18 after 1st anniversary!
* 9 Paid Holidays
* Employee Engagement Activities
* Medical (including Health Savings Account & Flexible Savings Account)
* Dental - RX - Vision - Life, Disability Insurance - 401(k) Plan with company match! - Employee Assistance Plan
* Performance-based Incentives
* Pet Insurance
* Advancement Opportunities
* Our Corporate Social Responsibility program, Newrez NOW, empowers employees to become leaders in their communities through a robust program that includes volunteering, philanthropy, nonprofit grants, and more
* 1 Volunteer Time Off (VTO) day, company-paid volunteer day where all eligible employees may participate in a volunteer event with a nonprofit of their choice
* Employee Matching Gifts Program: We will match monetary employee donations to eligible non-profit organizations, dollar-for-dollar, up to $1,000 per employee
* Newrez Grants Program: Newrez hosts a giving portal where we provide employees an abundance of resources to search for an opportunity to donate their time or monetary contributions
Equal Employment Opportunity
We're proud to be an equal opportunity employer- and celebrate our employees' differences, including race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, and Veteran status. Different makes us better.