Correspondence & Dispute Specialist III (Onsite)
Who we are
Shellpoint Mortgage Servicing (SMS) is one of America’s top-five non-bank mortgage-servicing companies. What is mortgage servicing? Our clients are businesses that own mortgage loans (such as banks and real estate investment firms). On their behalf, we manage (or "service") their loan portfolios, which means that we collect homeowners’ mortgage payments, pay their tax and insurance bills, and help homeowners in default to get current.
The Correspondence & Dispute Specialist III is responsible handling Qualified Written Requests. The job will entail reviewing all written disputes and complaints from borrowers or their authorized representatives, researching and resolving issues, and providing formal written responses within deadlines. The ideal candidate will have a good working knowledge of all aspects of Operations, including payment processing, escrow, taxes, and insurance, boarding, credit reporting, etc., and be able to direct members of those departments in resolving issues. The job will require continuous learning and keeping up to date with the Regulations related to the Real Estate Settlement Procedures Act ("RESPA"), Truth-in Lending Act ("TILA") the Fair Credit Reporting Act ("FCRA"), the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau ("CFPB") and policies and procedures regarding Fraud/ID Theft.
- Prioritize and be able to complete tasks according to regulatory deadlines.
- Research issues to identify root causes and be able to execute a plan of action for resolution.
- Ensure the necessary actions/corrections are made to the accounts, to resolve disputes and complaints.
- Compose written responses to borrower’s (or their authorized representatives) providing final resolution.
- Submit updates to the credit reporting agencies as needed, to resolve credit disputes
- Become subject matter expert in at least two main area of Homeowner Advocacy Dispute classes
- Performs related duties as assigned by supervisor.
Education and Experience Requirements
- High school diploma or equivalent.
- 5+ years Mortgage Servicing experience.
- At least 2 years demonstrated quality (no less than 95% quality scores) and productivity performance (no less than 12 resolutions per day average), in the Homeowner Advocacy Department
Knowledge, Skill and Ability Requirements
- Superb understanding of mortgage servicing industry, escrow, payment application, fees, credit reporting bankruptcy, foreclosure, loss mitigation.
- Must be extremely detail oriented, inquisitive, and have a passion for investigating and problem solving.
- Good written communication skills are needed, including good use of grammar, spelling, punctuation, and sentence structure.
- Excellent research skills required
- Intermediate knowledge of MS Word, MS Excel
- Familiarity with Mortgage Servicing systems is preferred.
- Excellent work ethic, high productivity, deadline driven.
- Must possess a short learning curve related to assimilation of new skills and tasks
- Superior written and verbal communication, follow up skills and a strong sense of accountability a must
- Superior organizational skills needed
- Ability to multi-task as well as quickly adapt to changing work assignments
- Knowledge of credit reporting and FCRA a plus
- MS Word
- Typing Speed & Accuracy
- Math and analytical skills needed
While this description is intended to be an accurate reflection of the position’s requirements, it in no way implies/states that these are the only job responsibilities. Management reserves the right to modify, add or remove duties and request other duties, as necessary.
* 15 Paid Time Off (PTO) days and 18 after 1st anniversary!
* 9 Paid Holidays
* Employee Engagement Activities
* Medical (including Health Savings Account & Flexible Savings Account)
* Dental - RX - Vision - Life, Disability Insurance - 401(k) Plan with company match! - Employee Assistance Plan
* Performance-based Incentives
* Pet Insurance
* Advancement Opportunities
* Our Corporate Social Responsibility program, Newrez NOW, empowers employees to become leaders in their communities through a robust program that includes volunteering, philanthropy, nonprofit grants, and more
* 1 Volunteer Time Off (VTO) day, company-paid volunteer day where all eligible employees may participate in a volunteer event with a nonprofit of their choice
* Employee Matching Gifts Program: We will match monetary employee donations to eligible non-profit organizations, dollar-for-dollar, up to $1,000 per employee
* Newrez Grants Program: Newrez hosts a giving portal where we provide employees an abundance of resources to search for an opportunity to donate their time or monetary contributions
Equal Employment Opportunity
We're proud to be an equal opportunity employer- and celebrate our employees' differences, including race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, and Veteran status. Different makes us better.