Default Escalations Specialist
Who we are
Shellpoint Mortgage Servicing (SMS) is America’s 5th-largest third-party mortgage servicing company. What is mortgage servicing? Our clients are businesses that own mortgage loans (such as banks and real estate investment firms); on their behalf, we manage (or "service") their loan portfolios: We collect homeowners’ mortgage payments, pay homeowners’ tax and insurance bills, and help homeowners in default to get current.
The Default Escalations Specialist is responsible for supporting the Loss Mitigation division by investigating and responding to consumer complaints that are received by the Inbound Loss Mitigation Specialist, allowing other areas of the division to focus on "live" loss mitigation efforts and call volume. Verbal Complaints may be related to issues with SPOC availability, loss mitigation status updates, prior servicer loss mitigation efforts, fee disputes, payment disputes, loss mitigation denials etc. (all aspects of Loss Mitigation Servicing). This position is designed to resolve consumer complaints quickly before they escalate to a written or Regulatory complaint, to prevent more risk and exposure to the company, and improve the overall customer experience. They will also be responsible for the outreach efforts and further communication to consumers, after the complaint is received. They will be required to acknowledge the complaint, provide follow ups or status updates when needed, and eventually provide confirmation of final resolution for the consumer over the phone. This position will require excellent customer service and verbal communication skills, and the ideal candidate is someone who takes pride in problem solving and customer satisfaction.
- Make outbound calls to consumers within 24 hours of receiving a verbal complaint, to acknowledge the complaint and provide a point of contact until resolution.
- Make outbound calls to consumers every 3 days to provide status updates on their complaint, or an ETA, until a resolution is reached.
- Research the consumer’s loan to determine the problem and next steps toward resolution. This will require some experience with reading and understanding payment/transaction summaries, escrow analyses, insurance documents, loan origination documents, tax lines, loss mitigation documents and processes.
- Follow up with other department leaders on tasks that their department needs to complete before a resolution can be reached for the consumer (having the assigned SPOC contact the borrower, having a fee analysis completed, etc.).
- Make outbound calls to consumers when a resolution is reached, to discuss the resolution and confirm satisfaction with the consumer.
- Updating and maintaining the database for verbal complaints, with details of the complaints and resolutions, for tracking and reporting purposes.
- Superior Customer Service and verbal/phone communication skills is a must
- Well-rounded knowledge of Mortgage, Consumer finance and loss mitigation a plus
- Intermediate knowledge of MS Word, MS Excel, Outlook and MS Access needed
- Familiarity with ILS systems needed
- Excellent work ethic, high productivity, and acute attention to detail needed
- Must possess a short learning curve related to assimilation of new skills and tasks
- Follow up skills and a strong sense of accountability are a must
- Superior organizational skills needed
- Ability to multi-task as well as quickly adapt to changing work assignments
- High School Diploma required.