Director of Compliance- Advocacy Quality (Onsite)
Who we are
Shellpoint Mortgage Servicing (SMS) is one of America’s top-five non-bank mortgage-servicing companies. What is mortgage servicing? Our clients are businesses that own mortgage loans (such as banks and real estate investment firms). On their behalf, we manage (or "service") their loan portfolios, which means that we collect homeowners’ mortgage payments, pay their tax and insurance bills, and help homeowners in default to get current.
NewRez is looking for a leader to develop and implement a Quality Control Process within our Complaints (Advocacy) Group. The Director of Compliance - Advocacy Quality will be responsible for driving a quality control program for reviewing all complaint responses for completeness and accuracy before the responses are sent back to Regulators, Examiners, Borrowers, and other interested parties. This review process is intended to serve as a best-in-class compliance process, to showcase to multiple stakeholders including external auditors, clients, and investors. The process will be supported with resources such as AI or writing software, for example, Grammarly, as well as internal and external Legal Counsel, where appropriate. Scoring will be stored within audit tracking and results from the review will drive incentive payments to the Complaints Staff.
The Director will work closely with the Legal, Compliance, and Operations departments as well as other departments at NewRez to ensure the Complaints Team successfully performs the identification, tracking, research, response, reporting, and documenting of complaint workstreams without sacrificing accuracy and quality. This leader is responsible for ensuring that complaints, including credit reporting disputes, are serviced in compliance with various federal, state, and local laws.
The Director of Compliance - Advocacy Quality will be responsible for the oversight of certain Complaint & Advocacy teams as well as a team devoted to response quality & accuracy, root cause analysis, legal review, Change Management handoff, as well as trend monitoring and reporting. This leader must be well versed in Mortgage Servicing and Origination process requirements, regulations, and practices including the Fair Credit Reporting Act and Credit Furnishing.
- Advocacy Managers & Supervisors
- Root Cause Analysis Team
- Written Correspondence and Disputes Specialists
- Credit Reporting & Special Loans Analysts
- Originations Complaints
- Drive the Complaint & Advocacy Teams responsible for Quality, Credit Reporting & Disputes, Root Cause Analysis, and Originations Complaints.
- Develop and maintain a Complaints & Advocacy Quality program.
- Oversee the Complaints & Advocacy intake, assignment, research, response, tracking, documentation, and reporting operation for Credit Reporting & Disputes, Root Cause Analysis, and Originations Complaints.
- Oversee the review of proposed responses, including accuracy and quality.
- Oversee the quality review workstream to include a final review with Legal prior to responses going to internal or external stakeholders and/or homeowners.
- Oversee the quality review workstream to include a root cause and pervasive trend analysis
- Oversee the quality review workstream to include an effective Compliance Change Management Team handoff to offer the best chance of success for corrective action to be taken on pervasive process gaps.
- Collaborate with the Complaints & Advocacy team members to ensure professional and courteous constructive feedback is provided to members with fact based, non-biased assessments. Provide collaborative support to ensure the cure of gaps identified within the Complaints & Advocacy work products occurs.
- Use resources within the various departments at NewRez to best identify and design remediation recommendations.
- Review all Complaints & Advocacy work items that fail compliance testing and provide guidance to team members for the necessary actions to bring the work items back in compliance.
- Lead and develop managers within this workstream to ensure they are actively managing and developing supervisors as well as the line-level associates
- Conduct regular performance reviews and evaluations to drive successful achievement of goals, objectives, and corporate initiatives.
- Performs related duties as assigned by Leadership.
Education and Experience Requirements
- Bachelor's Degree is preferred
- 5-10 years mortgage industry experience is required
- At least 2 years prior supervisory experience is required
- Experience conducting compliance monitoring and testing
- Strong project-management skills, with a proven ability to coordinate across departments and functions
Knowledge, Skill and Ability Requirements
- Proven ability to draft procedures and evaluate internal controls
- Strong work ethic and hands-on approach
- Ability to address challenging issues while remaining objective and independent
- Ability to build technical processes and work with technical teams to provide compliance related requirements
- Familiarity with mortgage loan servicing systems, database entries, Tableau, Black Knight
- Demonstrated knowledge and application of consumer protection laws and regulations such as RESPA, TILA/Regulation Z, ECOA/Regulation B, FCRA, FACTA, FDCPA, SCRA, BSA/AML, EFTA, UDAAP, and GLBA - HMDA a plus
- Proven ability to take a project from start to finish
- Ability to handle several projects at once while staying organized, detail oriented and diligent without sacrificing quality
- Strong communication skills - ability to articulate verbally and in writing, plans, processes, policies, and issues to stakeholders
While this description is intended to be an accurate reflection of the position’s requirements, it in no way implies/states that these are the only job responsibilities. Management reserves the right to modify, add or remove duties and request other duties, as necessary.
* 15 Paid Time Off (PTO) days and 18 after 1st anniversary!
* 9 Paid Holidays
* Employee Engagement Activities
* Medical (including Health Savings Account & Flexible Savings Account)
* Dental - RX - Vision - Life, Disability Insurance - 401(k) Plan with company match! - Employee Assistance Plan
* Performance-based Incentives
* Pet Insurance
* Advancement Opportunities
* Our Corporate Social Responsibility program, Newrez NOW, empowers employees to become leaders in their communities through a robust program that includes volunteering, philanthropy, nonprofit grants, and more
* 1 Volunteer Time Off (VTO) day, company-paid volunteer day where all eligible employees may participate in a volunteer event with a nonprofit of their choice
* Employee Matching Gifts Program: We will match monetary employee donations to eligible non-profit organizations, dollar-for-dollar, up to $1,000 per employee
* Newrez Grants Program: Newrez hosts a giving portal where we provide employees an abundance of resources to search for an opportunity to donate their time or monetary contributions
Equal Employment Opportunity
We're proud to be an equal opportunity employer- and celebrate our employees' differences, including race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, and Veteran status. Different makes us better.