Legal Assistant - Recovery Department
Who we are
Shellpoint Mortgage Servicing (SMS) is America’s 9th-largest third-party mortgage servicing company. What is mortgage servicing? Our clients are businesses that own mortgage loans (such as banks and real estate investment firms); on their behalf, we manage (or "service") their loan portfolios: We collect homeowners’ mortgage payments, pay homeowners’ tax and insurance bills, and help homeowners in default to get current.
- Aggressively pursue non-performing accounts in the legal collections inventory according to company standards.
- Preserve the integrity of accounts referred for legal remedies and safeguard the company’s ability to pursue litigation at any time.
Essential Functions/Specific Duties:
- Maximize collections for accounts in legal.
- Assemble referral packages on accounts for legal placement.
- Manage the account through the legal process providing necessary documentation and assistance to the collections firm.
- Work with the attorneys to negotiate voluntary repayment plans and/or for subsequent placement with attorney to pursue legal remedies to obtain judgement.
- Following up on Non-Performing Judgments
- Utilize negotiations to positively impact collections
- Manage inbound calls to the Legal department.
- Achieve various standards and goals for servicing accounts without sacrificing quality of service, maintain adherence to FDCPA guidelines, and consistently represent the company in a professional manner
- Assist with short sale/ home sale, as a backup when needed.
- Position responsibilities are governed by Federal SAFE Act qualification standards and/or state licensing, registration or exemption requirements. As a result, the applicant is required to demonstrate financial responsibility, character and general fitness to perform in the role and is subject to additional criminal record restrictions. Employees in this position are subject to on-going credit and background reviews to ensure continued compliance with position responsibilities.
- Education: High School education or greater preferred
- 2 years of experience in the mortgage and collection industries
- Credit bureau reporting knowledge and skip tracing experience
- Knowledge of collection laws and processes related to mortgages
- Motivated, organized and detail oriented
- Ability to achieve established monthly goals, meet deadlines, and work in a fast-paced, stressful environment
- Persuasive and professional communication skills
- Strong numeric aptitude, problem solving and analytical skills
- Proficiency in Latitude software, MS Word, and Excel a plus
Conditions of Work:
- Ability to remain on the phone for long periods of time
- Ability to sit for long periods of time
- Use of a computer for long periods of time
While this description is intended to be an accurate reflection of the position’s requirements, it in no way implies/states that these are the only job responsibilities. Management reserves the right to modify, add or remove duties and request other duties as necessary.