Litigation Case Manager (Paralegal) (Onsite)
Who we are
Shellpoint Mortgage Servicing (SMS) is one of America’s top-five non-bank mortgage-servicing companies. What is mortgage servicing? Our clients are businesses that own mortgage loans (such as banks and real estate investment firms). On their behalf, we manage (or "service") their loan portfolios, which means that we collect homeowners’ mortgage payments, pay their tax and insurance bills, and help homeowners in default to get current.
The Litigation Case Manager will exercise discretion and independent judgment to provide support to the Legal Department with litigation related matters associated with accounts serviced by Newrez. The Litigation Case Manager will provide litigation support to the Legal Department by appearing at in-person and telephonic court appearances and depositions as it relates to the records custodial and servicing processes of Newrez/Shellpoint Mortgage Servicing. Through analysis and review by the Litigation Case Manager, litigation-related accounts will be monitored, and support given to outside counsel to efficiently manage the litigation and ensure maximum recovery through the court system. Travel will be required.
- Independently manage a portfolio of 150 litigated cases within the litigation inventory as assigned by management.
- Support the Legal Department by appearing in-person and telephonically as a records custodian and fact witness at trials, depositions, mediations, etc. to explain servicing processes under oath as needed. Travel for appearance in person for trials that do not allow the witness to appear telephonically will be required. Appear as a representative of the company to speak to the company’s policies and procedures, and interpretation of their application to the facts of a specific case.
- Ability to read, review, and interpret mortgage loan documents for the purpose of appearing as a fact witness on litigated matters.
- Settle litigation cases and complaints with discretion and independent judgment utilizing approved settlement authority by clients or internal management.
- Independently process all requests by assigned attorneys (by e-mail or telephone) for settlement authority, check requests, etc. to bring a suit to resolution.
- Coordinate efforts directly with the firms for efficient and effective responses to all requests for discovery to include admissions, interrogatories, and production of documents.
- Research pertinent points of law that affect the recovery efforts.
- Provide information support to the legal recovery efforts.
- Identify and escalate to Supervisor any issues that cause liability or are above authority level.
- Identify and escalate to Supervisor any trends that could become problematic in future suits.
- Receive and process all correspondence received on accounts placed with assigned attorneys.
- Ensure that all actions, discovery, and witness requirements and obligations are tracked through Legal Tracker, Servicing Director, or other tracking database.
- Monitor time and legal fees in relation to outsourced projects and legal matters.
- Prepare expense reimbursements and perform clerical tasks, as needed.
- Prepare and maintain various spreadsheets and reports, including client reports for in-house counsel or other parties as required.
- Attend client or executive meetings and document discussions for in-house counsel.
- Prepare and maintain various spreadsheets and reports, including client reports.
- Work with management and other team members to ensure all appearances are covered as needed.
- Assist on any special projects assigned by management.
- Accept special tasks as necessary and assume responsibility for successfully achieving objectives.
- Performs additional projects and duties as assigned by supervisor.
Education and Experience Requirements
- Bachelor’s degree or Paralegal Certification, recommended.
- 3+ years' work-related experience
- 2+ years of litigation paralegal or mortgage company experience preferred.
- Experience in the legal field with law firm desired.
- Experience with legal case management and spend software such as Legal Tracker
- Knowledge of general corporate law principles and structure, and the essentials of basic contract law.
- Knowledge of real estate contracts and transactions, including mortgage and foreclosure law.
- Position may require ability to travel 10-25%.
Knowledge, Skill, and Ability Requirements
- Must have strong communication skills; strong analytical skills; and strong organizational skills with attention to detail.
- Must meet individual and team case management goals.
- Must be effective in multi-tasking and be goal oriented.
- Must be able to work on a team or independently with minimal supervision.
- Must have a valid driver’s license.
- Excellent communication skills, both verbal and written.
- Ability to work independently and manage time effectively.
- Ability to take direction from other Teammates to provide accurate testimony.
- Ability to work effectively remotely and while traveling.
While this description is intended to be an accurate reflection of the position’s requirements, it in no way implies/states that these are the only job responsibilities. Management reserves the right to modify, add or remove duties and request other duties, as necessary.
* 15 Paid Time Off (PTO) days and 18 after 1st anniversary!
* 9 Paid Holidays
* Employee Engagement Activities
* Medical (including Health Savings Account & Flexible Savings Account)
* Dental - RX - Vision - Life, Disability Insurance - 401(k) Plan with company match! - Employee Assistance Plan
* Performance-based Incentives
* Pet Insurance
* Advancement Opportunities
* Our Corporate Social Responsibility program, Newrez NOW, empowers employees to become leaders in their communities through a robust program that includes volunteering, philanthropy, nonprofit grants, and more
* 1 Volunteer Time Off (VTO) day, company-paid volunteer day where all eligible employees may participate in a volunteer event with a nonprofit of their choice
* Employee Matching Gifts Program: We will match monetary employee donations to eligible non-profit organizations, dollar-for-dollar, up to $1,000 per employee
* Newrez Grants Program: Newrez hosts a giving portal where we provide employees an abundance of resources to search for an opportunity to donate their time or monetary contributions
Equal Employment Opportunity
We're proud to be an equal opportunity employer- and celebrate our employees' differences, including race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, and Veteran status. Different makes us better.