Litigation Foreclosure Specialist
Who we are:
Shellpoint Mortgage Servicing (SMS) is America’s 5th-largest third-party mortgage servicing company. What is mortgage servicing? Our clients are businesses that own mortgage loans (such as banks and real estate investment firms); on their behalf, we manage (or "service") their loan portfolios: We collect homeowners’ mortgage payments, pay homeowners’ tax and insurance bills, and help homeowners in default to get current.
The Litigation Foreclosure Specialist will provide support to the Foreclosure Department with litigation related matters associated with foreclosure accounts. Candidate will be the secondary contact for our contracted external law firms for telephonic witnessing, depositions, and the primary contact for discovery requests as records custodian for Shellpoint Mortgage Servicing.
Through analysis, review and authorization, litigation-related accounts will be monitored and support given to outside counsel to efficiently manage the foreclosure litigation and ensure maximum recovery with the court system. Travel may be required.
- Manage cases within the foreclosure litigation inventory as assigned by Supervisor.
- Support legal firms as a witness for trials, mediation and depositions. Appear telephonically as records custodian for Shellpoint Mortgage Servicing. Explain policies and procedures under oath as needed. Appear in person for trials that do not allow the witness to appear telephonically.
- Settle cases with minimal supervision within given settlement authority parameters.
- Process all requests by assigned attorneys (by e-mail or telephone) for media issues, settlement authority, check requests, etc. to bring a suit to resolution.
- Process all discovery, complaint and counterclaim actions as assigned.
- Provide support to Supervisor and legal department with assigned cases.
- Coordinate efforts directly with the firms for efficient and effective responses to all requests for discovery to include interrogatories, admissions and production of documents.
- Research pertinent points of law that affect the recovery efforts.
- Provide information support to the legal recovery efforts.
- Identify and escalate to Supervisor any issues that cause liability or are above authority level.
- Identify and escalate to Supervisor any trends that could become problematic in future suits.
- Receive and process all correspondence received on accounts placed with assigned attorneys.
- Ensure that all actions, discovery and witness requests are tracked through LegalFiles or other tracking database.
- Work with Supervisor and other team members to ensure all trials are covered as needed.
- Assist on any special projects assigned by management.
- Accept special tasks as necessary and assume responsibility for successfully achieving objectives
- 2+ years of direct foreclosure or mortgage servicing related experience preferred
- Experience in the legal field with law firm desired.
- Ability to interpret legal statutes and codes
- Must have strong communication skills; strong analytical skills; and strong organizational skills with attention to detail.
- Must be effective in multi-tasking and be goal oriented.
- Must be able to work on a team or independently with minimal supervision.
- High school diploma, college degree preferred