Loss Mitigation Specialist I (Frontline)
Do you enjoy negotiating, solving problems, and helping others? We need enthusiastic and success-driven telephone professionals to join our Loss Mitigation Frontline team. The ideal candidate can see the big picture in any situation, enjoys a job with a high degree of customer contact, has a sales and entrepreneurial mindset and can handle any homeowner situation with composure and empathy. We are a growing company who takes pride in rewarding our top performers with both advancement opportunities and a lucrative bonus structure. We’re looking for assertive, well-spoken, and compassionate negotiators who are dependable, service-minded, and results-oriented.
Who we are
Shellpoint Mortgage Servicing (SMS) is America’s 5th-largest third-party mortgage servicing company. What is mortgage servicing? Our clients are businesses that own mortgage loans (such as banks and real estate investment firms) which are serviced by SMS on their behalf. We manage (or "service") their loan portfolios by collecting homeowners’ mortgage payments, paying homeowners’ tax and insurance bills, and working out options that prevent or resolve the default of homeowners. Our company takes a customer-centric approach by providing practical solutions and an individualized mortgage experience to the customer that leaves the investors satisfied and the homeowners in their homes.
Duties & responsibilities
- Use manual and automated calling strategies to locate and contact delinquent homeowners; analyze their
- Handle multiple mortgage products that are 60+ days delinquent, as governed by investor, departmental and legal guidelines.
- Keeps servicing files up-to-date with the necessary documents and correspondence needed to ensure a comprehensive record of the homeowners account activity is maintained and communicated
- Engage in efforts to prevent foreclosure through loan modifications, repayment plans, short sales, or Deed in Lieu.
- Responsible for establishing initial contact with homeowner via telephone or written correspondence.
- Must be able to communicate effectively through verbal and written means.
- Arrange for contractual services relating to property inspectors, appraisers, real estate agents, etc., who may be involved in the inspection or evaluation of the property.
- Reviews and negotiates liens and judgements to help clear the title and protect the homeowner and investors interest in the property.
- Analyze and underwrite the borrower’s income through review of documents which include, but are not limited to, financial statements, tax returns, credit reports, and collateral appraisals to determine and recommend the most feasible and appropriate solution for the homeowner.
- Address any homeowner question or concern. Handle escalated files appropriately by providing an articulate and complete response.
- Contribute to the progress of the department by understanding and positively impacting the measurements used to define success.
- Certify that all required actions have taken place prior to completing a foreclosure sale.
- Ensure all calls and loss mitigation efforts are compliant with company policies and procedures.
- Be able to interact with a diverse audience including investors, production staff, and homeowners.
- Perform other duties as assigned or necessary.
- Willing to work overtime as well as weekends.
Skills & abilities
The successful candidate needs:
- English fluency required; Spanish fluency a plus.
- Exceptional negotiation skills.
- Outstanding telephone and written communication skills.
- An entrepreneurial, sales-oriented business mindset.
- Familiarity with Internet-based search techniques (including the use of skip-tracing solutions).
- The ability to maintain professional conduct when dealing with people of any mood or personality type.
- Familiarity with lending-related terminology and processes, especially related to mortgage delinquency.
- Excellent reasoning and research skills; the ability to see the "big picture" and manage the details.
- The ability to safeguard confidential customer and company information.
- A solid work ethic, high integrity, a positive attitude, and strong attention to detail.
- The ability to follow instructions but work with minimal direct supervision.
- Excellent keyboarding skills.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Windows-based computers and Microsoft Office software (Word, Excel, Outlook, PowerPoint, etc.).
- The ability to remain stationary (mostly in a sitting position) for long periods of time.
Education & experience
- High-school diploma (required).
- College degree (preferred, but not required).
- Over 1 year of loss mitigation, collections, or related mortgage-servicing experience (preferred, but not required). We will consider other relevant or similar experience.
- Three weeks’ PTO (paid time off) for vacation and sick days.
- Paid holidays.
- Medical, dental, vision, life, and pet insurance.
- Short- and long-term disability insurance.
- Convenient, company-paid downtown parking.
- Adoption- and tuition-assistance programs.
- 401k matching program.
- Lucrative, performance-based bonuses.
- Advancement opportunities.
Physical Demands/Work Environment/Disclaimer
Must be able to remain in a stationary position for long periods of time. Must be able to effectively access/operate and interpret information on computer screens, documents, and reports. Must be able to effectively communicate with all homeowners via phone (headset) and written means. Nothing in this job description restricts management’s right to assign or reassign duties and responsibilities to this job at any time.