Who We Are:
Shellpoint Mortgage Servicing (SMS) is America’s 8th-largest third-party mortgage servicing company. What is mortgage servicing? Our clients are businesses that own mortgage loans (such as banks and real estate investment firms); on their behalf, we manage (or "service") their loan portfolios: We collect homeowners’ mortgage payments, pay homeowners’ tax and insurance bills, and help homeowners in default to get current.
This candidate will assist the Legal Department with all litigation, compliance, regulatory, administrative matters. Act as liaison for Corporate Legal and Compliance Departments with other departments.
- Perform legal research as required on litigation, bankruptcy, foreclosure, federal and state laws/regulations, and any other matters as requested.
- Manage a portfolio of litigated files and assist Corporate Counsel on setting strategy across jurisdictions with outside counsel.
- Review and approve case referrals to ensure that cases are handled timely.
- Respond to subpoenas by government agencies or other parties as appropriate.
- Act as a liaison for Corporate Legal and Compliance and other departments. Ensure underlying accounts are statused correctly for servicing.
- Track litigation for upcoming response dates so that deadlines are met.
- Assist other teams within Legal and Compliance Department as directed by Corporate Counsel or Associate General Counsel.
- 1+ years of paralegal experience with bankruptcy, foreclosure, and/or litigation. Experience with electronic case management software preferred but not required.
- Must have strong analytical skills; strong organizational skills with attention to detail; strong communication; strong computer skills and strong research skills.
- Must be effective in multi-tasking and be goal oriented.
- Must be able to work on a team or independently with minimal supervision.
- Bachelor’s degree in paralegal studies from an accredited college or university and/or certification as a paralegal preferred.