Who we are
Shellpoint Mortgage Servicing (SMS) is America’s 9th-largest third-party mortgage servicing company. What is mortgage servicing? Our clients are businesses that own mortgage loans (such as banks and real estate investment firms); on their behalf, we manage (or "service") their loan portfolios: We collect homeowners’ mortgage payments, pay homeowners’ tax and insurance bills, and help homeowners in default to get current.
This candidate will assist the Legal Department with all compliance, regulatory, administrative and litigation matters. Act as liaison for Corporate Legal and Compliance Departments.
- Perform legal research using the internet and other law-related databases and resources as required on mortgage servicing topics related to bankruptcy, foreclosure, federal and state laws/regulations, and any other matters as requested.
- Manage and track escalated litigation matters arising out of foreclosure, bankruptcy or general corporate matters to ensure responses and deadlines are met.
- Look for trends in objections or any issue that could create liability and bring those issues to the attention of management.
- Assist any department as set forth by direct supervisor and/or Senior Director, Legal and Compliance.
- Assist the Legal and Compliance Department in understanding accounts with legal issues.
- Assist in drafting discovery responses while working closely with local counsel and/or Corporate Legal.
- Assist on corporate transactional matters relating to mortgage servicing agreements and mortgage loan acquisitions or mortgage servicing rights acquisitions.
- Other duties as assigned and accept special tasks as necessary and assume responsibility for successfully achieving objectives.
- 3+ years of experience with bankruptcy, foreclosure, and/or litigation management. Experience with CounselLink preferred, but not required.
- Must have strong analytical skills; strong organizational skills with attention to detail; strong communication; strong computer skills and strong research skills.
- Must be effective in multi-tasking and be goal oriented,
- Must be able to work on a team or independently with minimal supervision.
- Bachelor’s degree in paralegal studies from an accredited college or university and/or certification as a paralegal preferred.