Who we are
Shellpoint Mortgage Servicing (SMS) is one of America’s top-five non-bank mortgage-servicing companies. What is mortgage servicing? Our clients are businesses that own mortgage loans (such as banks and real estate investment firms). On their behalf, we manage (or "service") their loan portfolios, which means that we collect homeowners’ mortgage payments, pay their tax and insurance bills, and help homeowners in default to get current.
This candidate will assist the Legal Department with all litigation, compliance, regulatory, administrative matters. Act as liaison for Corporate Legal and Compliance Departments with other departments.
- Perform legal research as required on litigation, bankruptcy, foreclosure, federal and state laws/regulations, and any other matters as requested.
- Manage a portfolio of litigated files and assist Corporate Counsel on setting strategy across jurisdictions with outside counsel.
- Review and approve case referrals to ensure that cases are handled timely.
- Look for trends in cases or any issue that could create liability and bring those issues to the attention of Corporate Counsel, General Counsel, or Senior Management.
- Act as a liaison for Corporate Legal and Compliance and other departments. Ensure underlying accounts are statused correctly for servicing.
- Track litigation for upcoming response dates so that deadlines are met.
- Assist in drafting discovery responses while working closely with local counsel and/or Corporate Legal.
- Assist other teams within Legal and Compliance Department as directed by Corporate Counsel or General Counsel.
- 3+ years of paralegal experience with bankruptcy, foreclosure, and/or litigation. Experience with electronic case management software preferred but not required.
- Must have strong analytical skills; strong organizational skills with attention to detail; strong communication; strong computer skills and strong research skills.
- Must be effective in multi-tasking and be goal oriented.
- Must be able to work on a team or independently with minimal supervision.
- Bachelor’s degree in paralegal studies from an accredited college or university and/or certification as a paralegal preferred.
* 15 Paid Time Off (PTO) days and 18 after 1st anniversary!
* 8 Paid Holidays
* Employee Engagement Activities
* Medical (including Health Savings Account & Flexible Savings Account)
* Dental - RX - Vision - Life, Disability Insurance - 401(k) Plan with company match! - Employee Assistance Plan
* Tuition-Assistance Programs
* Performance-based Incentives
* Pet Insurance
* Advancement Opportunities
* Our Corporate Social Responsibility program, Newrez NOW, empowers employees to become leaders in their communities through a robust program that includes volunteering, philanthropy, nonprofit grants, and more
* 1 Volunteer Time Off (VTO) day, company-paid volunteer day where all eligible employees may participate in a volunteer event with a nonprofit of their choice
* Employee Matching Gifts Program: We will match monetary employee donations to eligible non-profit organizations, dollar-for-dollar, up to $1,000 per employee
* Newrez Grants Program: Newrez hosts a giving portal where we provide employees an abundance of resources to search for an opportunity to donate their time or monetary contributions
Equal Employment Opportunity
We're proud to be an equal opportunity employer- and celebrate our employees' differences, including race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, and Veteran status. Different makes us better.