Remote Loss Mitigation Specialist I
Who we are
Shellpoint Mortgage Servicing (SMS) is America’s 5th-largest third-party mortgage servicing company. What is mortgage servicing? Businesses that own mortgage loans (such as banks and real estate investment firms) contract with us to manage (or "service") their loan portfolios, including collecting homeowners’ mortgage payments, paying homeowners’ tax and insurance bills, and helping homeowners in default to get current once again.
Duties & responsibilities
The successful candidate will:
- Use manual and automated calling strategies to locate and contact delinquent homeowners; analyze their financial information and identify their issues; and set up customized payment solutions that cure their delinquencies and satisfy the business objectives of our clients and our company.
- Handle multiple mortgage products that are 60+ days delinquent, as governed by investor, departmental, and legal guidelines.
- Maintain updated loan files to ensure a comprehensive record of every homeowners account activity.
- Help prevent foreclosure through various loss mitigation options (e.g. modification, forbearance, etc.).
- Contact homeowners by mail or phone; increase contact frequency as delinquency increases.
- Work with property inspectors, appraisers, real estate agents, etc.; arrange inspection or evaluation services.
- Review and negotiate liens and judgments to help clear the title and protect the homeowner and investor.
- Review homeowner financial records (e.g. statements, tax returns, credit reports, etc.) to determine the best loss mitigation solution for them.
- Answer homeowner questions; provide quick and thorough responses to escalated homeowner issues.
- Achieve departmental and corporate performance goals.
- Ensure all legal requirements are met before a foreclosure sale.
- Follow all company policies and procedures.
- Take part in continuous, on-site, free training in company policies/procedures and industry regulations.
- Be willing to work overtime and some weekends.
- Be willing to perform any other duties at any time, as directed by management.
Skills & abilities
The successful candidate needs:
- English fluency required; Spanish fluency a plus.
- Exceptional negotiation skills.
- Outstanding telephone and written communication skills.
- An entrepreneurial, sales-oriented, business mindset.
- Familiarity with Internet-based search techniques (including the use of skip-tracing solutions).
- The ability to maintain professional conduct when dealing with people of any mood or personality type.
- Familiarity with lending-related terminology and processes, especially related to mortgage delinquency.
- Excellent reasoning and research skills; the ability to see the "big picture" and manage the details.
- The ability to safeguard confidential customer and company information.
- A solid work ethic, high integrity, a positive attitude, and strong attention to detail.
- The ability to follow instructions but work with minimal direct supervision.
- Excellent keyboarding skills.
- Proficiency with technology not limited but including Microsoft Windows-based computers and Microsoft Office software (Word, Excel, Outlook, PowerPoint, etc.).
Education & experience
- High-school diploma (required).
- College degree (preferred, but not required).
- Over 1 year of loss mitigation, collections, or related mortgage-servicing experience (preferred, but not required). We will consider other relevant or similar experience.
Hours & System Requirements
- Your hours and shift will vary based on business need, but there is an expectation that a successful candidate will work in a full-time capacity which will include 8 hours daily between the hours of 8:00 am - 10:00 pm local time.
- Secure home office consisting of:
- Dedicated high-speed Internet (Cable, DSL, Fiber) with access via a hardwired connection (not wi-fi)
- Dedicated space where others cannot hear voice conversations, is free from background noise and other distractions
- Suitable ergonomic Chair and desk combination suitable for use to handle a desktop PC and laptop, two monitors, keyboard, mouse and assorted network gear.
- Advancement opportunities.
- Opportunity to work from home.
- Three weeks’ PTO (paid time off).
- Paid holidays.
- Medical, dental, vision, life, and pet insurance.
- Short- and long-term disability insurance.
- Adoption- and tuition-assistance programs.
- 401k matching program.
Equal Employment Opportunity
We're proud to be an equal opportunity employer- and celebrate our employees' differences, including race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, and Veteran status. Different makes us better.
Physical Demands/Work Environment/Disclaimer
Must be able to remain in a stationary position for long periods of time. Must be able to effectively access/operate and interpret information on computer screens, documents, and reports. Must be able to effectively communicate with all homeowners, fellow associates, and other persons by phone (using a headset) and in writing. Nothing in this job description restricts management’s right to assign or reassign duties and responsibilities to this job at any time.