Senior Corporate Counsel - Litigation
Who we are
Shellpoint Mortgage Servicing (SMS) is America’s 8th-largest third-party mortgage servicing company. What is mortgage servicing? Our clients are businesses that own mortgage loans (such as banks and real estate investment firms); on their behalf, we manage (or "service") their loan portfolios: We collect homeowners’ mortgage payments, pay homeowners’ tax and insurance bills, and help homeowners in default to get current.
The Senior Corporate Counsel - Litigation position is part of a team of legal specialists with a mission to deliver top-quality, strategic, and cost-conscious legal solutions to the company’s litigation portfolio. The primary responsibility of this position is to oversee complex litigation matters that arise from all segments of the company, exercising strategic judgment, oversight of outside counsel and interaction with senior leaders and individual business units. At the direction of the Associate General Counsel the attorney will be responsible for a team of 4-5 legal professionals, and carry the following responsibilities:
- Supervise outside counsel and consultants
- Develop strategy and tactics for litigation matters
- Help prepare for litigation and responses to government investigations, including oversight of discovery, development of company and expert witnesses, etc.
- Provide support as a general resource for various business units as assigned
- Review, analyze, and modify all outside counsel pleadings
- Analyze, formulate and recommend various litigation strategies and policy/procedure modifications in order to mitigate legal risk and minimize associated costs
- 7 -10 years’ experience of relevant legal experience desired, in-house experience a plus
- Active Member of the State Bar
- Knowledge of consumer finance law, bankruptcy, litigation defense, administrative law, and financial services a plus
- Experience with class actions and multidistrict litigation
- Experience managing and overseeing outside counsel
- Excellent interpersonal, written and communication skills
- Excellent legal research and writing skills
- Strong organizational skills and attention to detail is a must
- Ability to multi-task, prioritize and establish goals
- Ability to work in a team-oriented, fast-past environment
- Proficiency with general Microsoft Office applications
- Juris Doctorate from accredited law school.