Tax Specialist I
Who we are
Shellpoint Mortgage Servicing (SMS) is one of America’s top-five non-bank mortgage-servicing companies. What is mortgage servicing? Our clients are businesses that own mortgage loans (such as banks and real estate investment firms). On their behalf, we manage (or "service") their loan portfolios, which means that we collect homeowners’ mortgage payments, pay their tax and insurance bills, and help homeowners in default to get current.
The Tax Specialist is responsible for the maintenance of records on mortgaged properties and accurate and timely payment of real estate taxes on escrow and non-escrow accounts. Tax Specialist monitors the work of the out-sourced tax vendors to ensure timely disbursements from customer escrow accounts and provides assistance in resolving tax related issues. Tax Specialist processes mail, faxes, and emails pertaining to current bills and researches issues for customers.
- Analyzes escrow sufficiency to make sure escrowed funds are sufficient to make required payments
- Update tax lines on the system of record in order to maintain accurate records for delinquent non-escrowed loans obtain delinquent tax amounts in a timely manner so taxes can be paid to prevent a tax sale.
- Works with Escrow Specialist to ensure modification plan guidelines for setting up tax lines, paying taxes, and establishing an escrow account are done timely and within Compliance guidelines.
- Manually requests tax bills, track critical dates, and make payments if not disbursed electronically.
- Execute payments for taxes in batch single processing modes by the installment due dates for the particular payee. Payment processing includes tax disbursement to avoid incurring interest or penalties,
- Sets up new tax payees or makes changes upon request.
- Update action & follow up in all appropriate systems.
- Weekly reporting to management
- Basic understanding of loss mitigation, REO, bankruptcy and foreclosure
- Ability to research and comprehend state laws and regulations.
- Excellent work ethic, high productivity, and acute attention to detail.
- Short learning curve to assimilate new skills and tasks.
- Superior written and verbal communication and follow up skills as well as a strong sense of accountability.
- Ability to multi-task and well organized.
- Associates / Bachelor’s Degree preferred or relevant tax administration experience in a mortgage banking or real estate financing environment
* 15 Paid Time Off (PTO) days and 18 after 1st anniversary!
* 9 Paid Holidays
* Employee Engagement Activities
* Medical (including Health Savings Account & Flexible Savings Account)
* Dental - RX - Vision - Life, Disability Insurance - 401(k) Plan with company match! - Employee Assistance Plan
* Performance-based Incentives
* Pet Insurance
* Advancement Opportunities
* Our Corporate Social Responsibility program, Newrez NOW, empowers employees to become leaders in their communities through a robust program that includes volunteering, philanthropy, nonprofit grants, and more
* 1 Volunteer Time Off (VTO) day, company-paid volunteer day where all eligible employees may participate in a volunteer event with a nonprofit of their choice
* Employee Matching Gifts Program: We will match monetary employee donations to eligible non-profit organizations, dollar-for-dollar, up to $1,000 per employee
* Newrez Grants Program: Newrez hosts a giving portal where we provide employees an abundance of resources to search for an opportunity to donate their time or monetary contributions
Equal Employment Opportunity
We're proud to be an equal opportunity employer- and celebrate our employees' differences, including race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, and Veteran status. Different makes us better.