Verbal Complaint Specialist III (Onsite)
Who we are
Shellpoint Mortgage Servicing (SMS) is one of America’s top-five non-bank mortgage-servicing companies. What is mortgage servicing? Our clients are businesses that own mortgage loans (such as banks and real estate investment firms). On their behalf, we manage (or "service") their loan portfolios, which means that we collect homeowners’ mortgage payments, pay their tax and insurance bills, and help homeowners in default to get current.
The Verbal Complaint Specialist III is responsible for supporting the Compliance Division by investigating and responding to these time sensitive mortgage servicing situations. Verbal consumer complaints may be received by the Loss Mitigation, Customer Service, Loan Servicing, or any other Servicing Departments. Verbal Complaints may be related to issues regarding SPOC availability, loss mitigation status updates, prior servicer loss mitigation efforts, fee disputes, payment disputes, loss mitigation denials etc., (all aspects of Loss Mitigation Servicing) and Foreclosure processes. This position is designed to support the sensitive nature of the escalations, as well as to provide training and mentoring to subordinate team members. The Verbal Complaint Specialist III must drive timely resolution for the homeowner to mitigate risk and exposure where possible, and to improve the overall customer experience.
The Verbal Complaint Specialist III works with various department leaders to investigate and resolve issues for the consumer. They are also responsible for the outreach efforts and further communication to consumers, after the complaint is received. They are required to research and write a response detailing the results of the research and resolution (if applicable) to the consumer’s concerns. They provide this additional support to subordinate team members.
Additional responsibilities are reviewing other Verbal Complaint Specialist teammates’ verbal responses. This position requires superior customer service skills including empathy, the ability to work under strict deadlines, and to conduct tasks with all levels of the organization. The Verbal Complaint Specialist III must demonstrate consistent accuracy, attention to detail, strong verbal, and written communication skills. The ideal candidate is someone who takes pride in problem solving and customer satisfaction.
- Make outbound calls to homeowners within 24 hours of receiving a verbal complaint, to acknowledge the complaint and provide a point of contact until resolution.
- Research the homeowner’s loan to determine the entire situation, confirm if any additional Compliance or Legal teams should be involved in the research, and next steps toward resolution. This requires experience with reading and understanding payment/transaction summaries, escrow analyses, insurance documents, loan origination documents, tax lines, loss mitigation documents, foreclosure documents and other mortgage servicing processes.
- Follow up with other department leaders on tasks that their department needs to complete before a resolution can be reached for the homeowner (having the assigned SPOC contact the borrower, having a fee analysis completed, etc.).
- Make outbound calls to homeowners when a resolution is reached, to discuss the resolution and confirm understanding with the homeowner.
- Updating and maintaining the database for verbal complaints, with details of the complaints and resolutions, for tracking and reporting purposes.
- Review written and verbal escalation responses from other writers and verbal specialist to ensure accuracy of information, the response addresses the complaint contents and the information provided is clear and understandable.
- Performs related duties as assigned by supervisor.
Education and Experience Requirements
- High School Diploma required.
- 5+ years of Mortgage Experience.
- Well-rounded knowledge of Consumer Financial Protection Laws and mortgage servicing specific regulations and requirements.
- Mortgage, consumer finance, loss mitigation, or foreclosure experience is required.
Knowledge, Skill, and Ability Requirements
- Superior Customer Service, verbal/phone and written communication skills are required.
- Intermediate knowledge of MS Word, MS Excel, and MS Outlook required.
- Familiarity with mortgage servicing systems required, MSP or Finastra Servicing Director
- Excellent work ethic, high productivity, and acute attention to detail needed.
- Must possess a short learning curve related to assimilation of new skills and tasks.
- Follow-up skills and an intense sense of accountability are a must.
- Superior organizational skills needed.
- Consistent demonstration to meet and exceed departmental goals.
- Ability to multi-task as well as quickly adapt to changing work assignments.
While this description is intended to be an accurate reflection of the position’s requirements, it in no way implies/states that these are the only job responsibilities. Management reserves the right to modify, add or remove duties and request other duties, as necessary.
* 15 Paid Time Off (PTO) days and 18 after 1st anniversary!
* 9 Paid Holidays
* Employee Engagement Activities
* Medical (including Health Savings Account & Flexible Savings Account)
* Dental - RX - Vision - Life, Disability Insurance - 401(k) Plan with company match! - Employee Assistance Plan
* Performance-based Incentives
* Pet Insurance
* Advancement Opportunities
* Our Corporate Social Responsibility program, Newrez NOW, empowers employees to become leaders in their communities through a robust program that includes volunteering, philanthropy, nonprofit grants, and more
* 1 Volunteer Time Off (VTO) day, company-paid volunteer day where all eligible employees may participate in a volunteer event with a nonprofit of their choice
* Employee Matching Gifts Program: We will match monetary employee donations to eligible non-profit organizations, dollar-for-dollar, up to $1,000 per employee
* Newrez Grants Program: Newrez hosts a giving portal where we provide employees an abundance of resources to search for an opportunity to donate their time or monetary contributions
Equal Employment Opportunity
We're proud to be an equal opportunity employer- and celebrate our employees' differences, including race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, and Veteran status. Different makes us better.